Operation Round Up donates $5,300 locally
MiEnergy Cooperative’s Operation Round Up Trust Board met in September and elected to donate $5,300 to the following local organizations:
- $500, Decorah Elks Charitable Foundation, to support a camp for children in foster care.
- $500, Elma Area Community Foundation, to support the Elma Fire and Rescue fund.
- $500, Harmony Fire Department, to build a community memorial to honor volunteer firefighters.
- $500, Home and Community Options, Winona, Minn.,to support next year’s musical production.
- $500, Howard County Sheriff’s Office, Cresco, Iowa, to help upgrade its radio system and equipment.
- $500, Quilter’s Therapy, Mabel, Minn., to help purchase supplies to create quilts for veterans.
- $500, Mobile Mamma, Cresco Iowa, to support a program for parents on the topic of online safety.
- $500, Sunflower Child Development Center, Decorah, Iowa, to help purchase new playground equipment.
- $400, Spring Grove Public Library, to help purchase a new computer for public use.
- $300, Tasktakers, Spring Grove, Minn., to purchase yard cleanup supplies for those who need assistance with outdoor tasks.
- $200, Empty Bowls, Harmony, Minn., to help purchase supplies for the event that raises money for Fillmore County Food Shelves.
- $200, Quilts of Valor,Decorah Iowa, to help with the cost of shipping quilts to volunteer long-arm quilters.
- $200, Spring Grove Girl Scouts,to help purchase supplies for a leadership trip.
Operation Round Up is funded by donations made by members of MiEnergy Cooperative who voluntarily have their electric bill rounded up to the next dollar. About 1,800 members currently participate with the average donation being $6 a year per member.
The program is based on the idea that small change adds up. Currently, the program gives out about $10,000 each year to local organizations.
The Operation Round Up Trust Board chooses where the funds are donated and the amount of the donation based on an application process. The trust board members include: Tom Tibor, of Minnesota City, Minn., president; John Bronk, of Winona, Minn., vice president; Margaret Knutson, of Houston, Minn., secretary/treasurer; Larry Hafner, of La Crescent, Minn.; Allen Hanson, of Preston, Minn.; Miriam Harstad, of Harmony, Minn.; Arlene Hegge, of La Crescent, Minn.; Janelle Mahr, of Lime Springs, Iowa; and Shannon Schmelzer, of Cresco, Iowa.
Donations to Operation Round Up are tax deductible. Organizations receive grants through an application process. The next application deadline is February 15. To learn more about Operation Round Up or to round up your electric bill, visit www.MiEnergy.coop or call 1-800-432-2285.